Spring time will fly by in Texas and before we know it, we will all be drenched in sweat wondering how soon Fall will arrive. It’s the same cycle every single year but I wouldn’t change it for anything. The Summer weather here in the South is a bit crazy but it allows for us to eat all the cold desserts that our hearts desire.
I love making as much of our food from scratch and I’ve been trying my hand at cold desserts. We recently made homemade lemon sorbets and they were so good I have to share with you all. These are the perfect amount of sweet and will cool you off on any hot day.
Homemade Lemon Sorbet Dessert
Makes 12 scoops
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups freshly squeeze lemon juice
- 2 TBS freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 cups of fresh sliced strawberries
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 1 package of individual sponge cake
- 1 can of whipped cream
- 1 tall canister
- 1 ice cream scoop
- mint to garnish
- In a large sauce pan, Stir together the water, Lemon juice and zest, lemon lime soda and sugar
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer for 5 minutes
- Set aside to cool
- Once cooled, add to the canister and place in the freezer for 1 1/2 hour
- Stir the mix 1 every hour for 5 hours to incorporate air into the mix for a lighter finished product
- Once the sorbet is solid, prep the strawberries and blueberries by washing them and drying.
- Cut the strawberries into quarters
- Scoop some of the sorbet onto the sponge cake, top with whipped cream and berries and mint