When Kenny Bowers offers to teach you how to make the best meatballs in Dallas, you listen. A group of us sat around a long table on the patio at Kenny’s Italian Kitchen and learned from the best. Kenny taught us some secrets and gave us insider knowledge about making the best meatballs in Dallas.
After long shifts working at Kenny’s Smoke House, he said he would head home and start making meatballs. It slowly became an obsession. He would drink and make meatballs until he perfected the recipe. Needless to say the meatballs are called, “Kenny’s Midnight Meatballs” because of his drunken nights making meatballs until the wee hours of the morning. I cooked the meatballs once I get home and they turned out amazing so I had to share the recipe!
Kenny’s Midnight Meatballs
- 12 oz (3/4 of a loaf) white bread
- 3 cups whole milk
- black pepper
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 oz basil
- 4 lbs ground beef, pork or sausage (whichever you prefer)
- Tear bread into small pieces approximately 1″
- In a large bowl, combine milk and bread.
- Mix together by hand making sure bread is completely dissolved in milk to form a soupy paste like consistency.
- Add salt, pepper, cheese, basil and mix.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Gently mix in meat making sure everything is evenly mixed
- With slightly wet hands for 4 oz balls.
- Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until medium brown (internal temp of 160 degrees).
If you’re like me and love using the crock pot, I did all of these steps through 7 and put my meatballs in the crock pot and let them cook on low for a few hours smothered in marinara.
Every Sunday is Meatball Madness at Kenny’s Italian Kitchen. For only $1, you can order one of Kenny’s 1/4 pound meatballs. If you can eat more than 18 meatballs (the current meatball eating record), your meatballs are free!
Stop by and see what all the buzz is about! Kenny’s Italian Kitchen is located at 5100 Beltline, Suite 764, Dallas Texas.