Smashburger has teamed up with Deep Ellum Brewery to reinvigorate the classic American beer and burger pairing. These new malted matches, which start at $8.68 each, are part of the company’s localization initiative and push towards burger and beer pairings in larger markets across the U.S. Smashburger is the first national fast-casual concept to take this step.
“Burgers and beer are a great American occasion,” said Tom Ryan, founder of Smashburger. “Therefore, our goal has been to bring great beer and burgers to the forefront. With Deep Ellum’s creativity and quality of product, we knew we had made the right partnership.”
I stopped in for a tasting with the Dallas Smashburger owner, Tye Williams. From the start Tye was down to earth and expressed his love for the brand. Smashburger prides themselves on all fresh ingredients, never using frozen products. “Fresh, frozen ingredients is a bit of an oxymoron, don’t you think?” stated Tye Williams. He’s absolutely right, you can taste the freshness of their products in every bite. We tried 4 delicious Burger and Beer pairings and as an added bonus Tye let us try the Texas hotdog, made with 100% pure beef to end our night of gorging.
Tom Ryan toured the Deep Ellum Brewery with founder John Reardon to discuss the origins and concepts behind the beer recipes. He was able to sample all of the brewery’s line of craft beer. The duo then sat down and paired various burgers and sandwiches from the Smashburger menu, with five different Deep Ellum beers. The pair discussed the roles of aroma, texture and taste preferences in the pairing process before making their final decision. The result, is eight deliciously paired menu items.
Smashburger + Deep Ellum Pairing Menu
Classic Smash + Dallas Blonde
- A unique smash sauce lightens the meatiness of this all-American burger, which pairs beautifully with the cirtrusy and floral American hops, Pale, Vienna and Wheat malts. The balance of the gold ale brings out the creamy cheese, smooth smash sauce and crisp toppings of a true classic!
Mushroom Swiss Burger + Double Brown Stout
- This Scandinavian dark brew pairs wonderfully with the meaty grilled nature of mushrooms and beef in a burger packed with character. Chocolate and dark dried fruit character contrasts with the smoothness of the creamy Swiss cheese and mayo.
BBQ, Bacon & Cheddar Burger + Rye Pils
- A burger with big grill flavors and tangy BBQ Sauce meets its perfect match with this American-style Pilsner. Unfiltered, dry hopped, and mashed with rye malt, this beer enhances the zest of the BBQ sauce and richness of the beef.
Avocado Club Burger + Dallas Blonde
- Fresh avocado, applewood-smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato, ranch dressing and mayo on a multi grain bun was down flawlessly with the citrusy flavors of this golden ale.
Jalapeno BBQ Burger + Rye Pils
- Grilled garlic jalapenos, applewood-smoked bacon, cheddar, haystack onions and BBQ sauce on an egg bun make for great match with Deep Ellum’s Rye Pils. This Pilsner beer’s malt flavor enhances the smokiness of the bacon and BBQ sauce.
Spicy Veggie Black Bean Burger + Deep Ellum IPA
- Deep Ellum IPA has the perfect blend of high alpha acid content to emphasize the flavor and aroma of this butter ale. With tropical fruit, citrus, and pine notes this beer tames the fire of freshly sliced jalapenos and complements the rich guacamole in this assertive black bean burger.
Cucumber & Goat Cheese Chicken Sandwich + Dallas Blonde
- The crisp finish of the Dallas Blonde complement the exceptionally clean and light combination of chicken, spinach and goat cheese in this full-flavored sandwich. A delicate bitterness and noticeable carbonation cut through the goat cheese while lightly toasted malt underpins subtly grilled chicken.
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Sandwich + Deep Ellum IPA
- This IPA’s aroma and flavor pair superbly well with the spicy heat of Frank’s Redhot Buffalo Sauce and the crispiness of the chicken sandwich. The hop character helps complement the rich character of blue cheese in this pairing.
I tried four different burgers and beers. Yes, I indulged just a bit, but it was completely worth it. Each burger and beer combination were perfect together. Tom Ryan and John Reardon knew what they were doing. The taste of each beer complemented each burger. I was excited to write about my favorite pairing until I had to actually choose which one was my favorite and I couldn’t. They were all too delicious that I don’t have a favorite!
At Smashburger, the secret is the smash. It starts with 100-percent—fresh, never frozen, Angus Beef and is smashed on a 400 degree flat grill to sear in the juicy flavor. To further the “better burger” experience, the delicious burgers are served on toasted artisan buns and topped with a selection of the freshest produce, real cheeses, and highest-quality condiments. I was allowed in the kitchen to smash a burger. It was so much fun. I’m sure the cooks weren’t nearly as excited as I was, but I appreciated the opportunity to see what it was like to be in the kitchen.
I highly recommend trying the Burger and Beer tasting at Smashburger. Not only are you supporting local beer, you’ll also be eating some of the best burgers around. I want to extend a HUGE thank you to Tye Williams and Smashburger for having me in!
Smashburger has multiple locations in the DFW metroplex, to find the closest one to you stop by the Official Smashburger Site.