Admittedly, I’m horrible at making breakfast a priority. The only time I will take the time to make a good, hearty breakfast at home is during the holidays. A lot of it is because I’m not a huge breakfast person. I’d rather skip it and eat something good for lunch, which I know isn’t the healthiest thing to do or recommended.
I’ve learned the key to making a delicious breakfast is to prepare. I make sure I have all the ingredients, recipe and any items I need laid out the night before. I know that sounds crazy, but I’m not a morning person and this allows for minimal mistakes. Since I have an obsession with cooking with a my cast iron skillet, I wanted to share one of my favorite breakfast meals that’s easy to make and so good!
Introducing the Southwest Breakfast made in a Cast Iron Skillet…
- 1 bag frozen hash brown potatoes
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 1/4 cup caramelized garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 Jalapeños diced and seeds removed
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- Cooking spray
Let’s make our Southwest Breakfast:
- Spray your cast iron skillet with cooking spray, heating it to medium to high temp.
- Add the bacon, garlic, peppers and fry until crisp, remove the mix and place to the side
- While the bacon is cooling, pour off some of the bacon grease leaving enough to fry the hash brown potatoes on medium to high heat.
- Once almost cooked add you bacon pepper mix and fold to combine
- Make four pockets and crack one egg into each one
- Top with the shredded cheese allowing the eggs to cook completely and the cheese to slightly melt.
- Cover to thoroughly cook the egg to desired doneness
- If desired add the diced jalapeno pepper on top for garnish.
- Serve with salsa and or sour cream as desired.