We had so much fun making our Valentine’s Day Monster Cupcakes that I wanted to add another type of Valentine Day cupcake to the mix. This time we made the cutest Valentine’s Day Bear Cupcakes made with Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. These cupcakes are pretty easy to make and lots of fun to decorate.
One of my favorite reasons I love baking is all the decorating that goes along with it. Admittedly, I’m not the best decorator but when you have a basic animal like a bear, it is pretty easy to master. Kids love to help with these cupcakes because they can make silly faces on the animals and snack on the sweets while decorating.
I’ve listed the ingredients used in my recipe, but many of the decorating ingredients can be switched out with anything you have in stock at home. If you’re letting your little one help you with these Valentines Day Bear cupcakes, I suggest placing all the ingredients in multiple bowls so it’s easy to grab and organize while making the bears. I didn’t do this the first time making them and trying to find all the pieces and decorate at the same time made things very difficult!
Valentine’s Day Bear Cupcakes
Makes 22 Cupcakes
- 1 box of French vanilla cake mix
- 1 C whole milk
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- Valentines day cupcake liners
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 C unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 3 1/2 C powder sugar
- 1/2 C cocoa
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3-5 TBSP heavy whipping cream.
- 1 disposable piping bag fitted with star tip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- Using a standing or a hand mixer, beat together all cupcake ingredients until combined
- Scoop cupcake batter into liners, filling about 3/4 way full and bake in the oven for 21 minutes
- Allow to cool completely
- Chocolate Frosting Directions
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powder sugar, cocoa, vanilla and heavy whipping cream until combined and stiff with peaks
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag and set aside
Reese bear Ingredients:
- 21 regular size Reese peanut butter cups, unwrapped
- 1 package of small edible eyes
- 2 8oz bag of Ghirardelli chocolate wafers, set aside 42 for the ears
- 1 bag of pink wilton candy melts
- 21 brown M&M’s
- 1 mini circle fondant cutter
- 1 container of Nerdy Nummy heart sprinkles
- 1 disposable piping bag
Cupcake Directions: Chocolate Frosting Directions Bear Directions As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chocolate Frosting Directions
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Remove 42 chocolate wafers from the Ghirardelli bags and place onto a cutting board.
- Using a microwave safe bowl, melt 1 cup of the chocolate wafers in increments of 30 seconds, mixing after each time until melted and smooth
- Scoop into the piping bag and set aside
- Place one unwrapped Reese peanut butter cup onto the cutting board
- Cut the tip off the piping bag and pipe a small dollop of chocolate onto the lower center of the peanut butter cup
- Place a pink wafer onto the chocolate dollop. This is the mouth and nose of the bear
- Pipe two dollops of chocolate above the pink wafer for the eyes
- Place two eyes onto the two chocolate dollops
- Pipe a small dollop of chocolate onto the “M” side of the “M&M” and then place onto the center of the pink wafer
- Using the small round fondant cut out a half shaped moon out of the bottom of the chocolate wafers.
- Pipe a line of chocolate onto the cut part of the chocolate wafer
- Place the chocolate wafer onto the upper left and right corner of the peanut butter cup for the ears
- Repeat steps with remaining Reese cups
- Allow to dry for 10 minutes
- While the bears are drying, pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes
- Once the 10 minutes is up, carefully place the bears onto the middle of the frosting and lightly push down into the frosting.
Looking for more Valentine’s Day treats? Don’t miss these: