I can’t believe another year has gone by and Valentine’s Day is almost here. While many people think this holiday is just a Hallmark holiday, I really enjoy it. I love being able to buy presents for my loved ones and let them know how much they are loved and appreciated. Over the years, baking has been on the top of my list of things to do for Valentines. Let’s be real, who doesn’t love homemade treats?
Usually, I’ll make some cutesy chocolate and cookies with hearts all over them for Valentine’s Day but since Bryce is at home with me, I wanted to add a little twist to our Valentine’s Day treats. We decided to make Valentine’s Day Monster Cupcakes. Not only are these still festive and fun, my son loves them because they’re monsters!
These are a great treat for kids to make with you, they love getting messy with the icing and being able to sneak in a few bites of all the sweet goodness.
Valentines Day Monster Cupcakes
Makes 22 cupcakes
- 1 box of French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C (1 stick) of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 C whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 22 brown M&M’s
- 22 square marshmallows
- 1 small fondant circle cutter
- 1 package of mustache
- 1 container of Red fondant
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 Mini heart cookie cutter
- cupcake liners
- cupcake pan
- 1 tube of chocolate frosting
- 1 disposable piping bag fitted with a number 4 tip
- 1 disposable piping bag fitted with a wilton grass tip
Directions for cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake pan with the liners
- Using a hand mixer, beat together the cake mix, butter, milk, and vanilla and mix until combined
- Using a medium ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and fill about 3/4 of the way full
- Bake in the oven for about 21 minutes
- Pull out and place on the side to cool
Heart Ears Directions
- Sprinkle the 1/2 C of powdered sugar and roll the red fondant out to 1/8th inch thick
- Cut out 44 hearts for the “Ears”
- Set aside to dry
- Using the circle cookie cutter, cut out 22 rounds from the marshmallows for the eyes
- Pipe a dollop of chocolate frosting onto the center of the marshmallow
- Place a M&M onto the frosting
- 1 C unsalted
- 3 C powder sugar
- 3 – 5 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- Pink gel food coloring
- In a standing mixer, combine the butter, powder sugar, vanilla, and the heavy whipping cream.
- Mix on medium speed until stiff and creamy.If you still see powdery pebbles, add in 2 more tbsp heavy whipping cream.
- Continue to mix until stiff and creamy
- Beat in a few drops of pink food coloring and mix until fully combined and frosting is a dark pink color
- Scoop some frosting into both piping bags
- Pipe squiggly lines all over the top of the cupcake
- Place a “eye” in the center of the frosting
- Place two red hearts into the top sides of the frosting for the ears
- Place a mustache into the lower center of the frosting
Eye's Directions Frosting Directions As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.