Delicious Valentine’s Day Cupcakes
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 C hot water
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 6 TBSP butter, room temp
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake paper liners.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk hot water and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix the egg, vegetable oil, peppermint and vanilla until well combined.
- Add in the flour mixture, alternate with hot cocoa mix until there are no lumps.
- Using a large ice cream scoop the batter into the lined cupcake tins until they are 3/4’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven allowing cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 10 minutes.
- Take out of cupcake pan and place individual cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
Peppermint Frosting Recipe
- 1 C butter, softened
- 2 C powdered sugar
- 1 – 2 TBSP heavy cream
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1-2 drops of pink gel coloring
- crushed candy canes, split into two bowls
- Holiday oreo’s crushed and put into a bowl with crushed candy canes.
- Beat butter and sugar till combined
- Mix in heavy cream, gel color, candy canes and mix until blended.
- Spoon into a pastry bag with a large tip.
- Frost cupcakes from the outside working the tip toward the center of the cupcake
- Rim the edge of the cupcake in the oreo and candy cane mixture.
- Top with a oreo.
These are a fun recipe to make with your little ones. It can be very hands on or you can allow them to just decorate the cupcake which is always fun! What type of desserts do you make for Valentine’s Day or do you leave it to the professionals?