Mississippi is often a state that is overlooked for it’s vibrant business economy. The state currently ranks #9 for top states doing business in the United States. Mississippi is located in the Central Time Zone which is great for businesses who work with people and businesses all over the nation. After doing some research on the Mississippi Development Authority, I found some of the Top Reasons to Do Business in Mississippi.
- Mississippi is one-day accessible to 55% of business, offering more than half of the US businesses gateway ports to Central, Latin America and other trade destinations.
- Top 10 for performance of state highway system.
- Top 5 in 2012 for Overall Cost of Doing Business
- #5 Best States for Entrepreneurs
- 15 Community Colleges, 8 Public Universities and 4 Research Universities
- #9 for Top States Doing Business
- #2 for Competitive Utility Costs and Permitting Speed
- #3 for Competitive Labor Costs in 2012
- Customized Skills Training
- #2 in the World for Oil and Gas Investment
- Mississippi has more than 13,000 miles of Pipelines
- Top Ten Performance of State Highway Systems
- Mississippi’s Energy Costs are 20% Lower than the National Average
- Customized Incentive and Financing Programs to Meet the Needs of Each Individual Investment Project
The list goes on and on, there are many business incentives for doing business in Mississippi. One program that I enjoyed learning about was the Advantage Jobs Program. The Advantage Jobs Incentive Program is a rebate program designed to encourage businesses that create new quality jobs to locate in the state. The Advantage Jobs Incentive Program provides for a rebate of a percentage of Mississippi payroll to qualified employers for a period of up to 10 years. This incentive is available to businesses that promise significant expansion of the economy through the creation of jobs. The average of all jobs included in the program must meet the minimum average wage requirements. There are over 20 programs similar to the Advantage Jobs Incentive Program that is offered to businesses in Mississippi.
Mississippi is a great place to live, work and play. Have you visited lately? Let me know what you love about Mississippi!