As you might know, Peruvian cuisine is HOT right now – topping the National Restaurant Association’s What’s Hot for 2013 list. So, if you’re going to dive into this new foodie trend, it’s only appropriate to complement it with the a spirit that comes to us from Peru – pisco! This makes February 2nd the perfect opportunity to rediscover this delicious spirit, or try it for the first time.
A ton of local bars and restaurants are already on board, including La Duni (4264 Oak Lawn Avenue, Dallas, TX), where you can try a delicious take on a Pisco Sour called The Crossover Sour.
Quick Facts about Pisco:
- Pisco, also known as the “5th white spirit,” is a type of brandy that is cultivated from grapes.
- When mixed with lime juice, simple syrup, a dash of egg whites and bitters, it becomes a delicious drink that comes to us from Peru, called the Pisco Sour.
- The history of the spirit dates back to the 16th century, and the Pisco Sour is nearly 100 years old.
- First created by the American ex-pat Victor Morris, and then perfected by Peruvia bartender, Mario Bruguet.
- Portón pisco, is the first truly premium pisco available in the U.S., and makes for the ultimate Pisco Sour. As this category’s equivalent to a single-malt scotch, it combines centuries-old methods with state-of-the-art and eco-friendly technologies to create a mosto verde pisco of unmatched quality.
The Crossover Sour
Created by Daniel Guillen, La Duni, Dallas, TX
- 2 parts Portón pisco
- ½ part Chambord Liqueur
- 1 part Lemon juice
- 2 parts Spiced Malbec Reduction
- 1 egg white
- 1 barspoon Fernet Branca
- 1 Mint Sprig
- Cinnamon dust
Glassware: Double old fashioned glass
- Dry shake all ingredients
- Add ice and shake again.
- Strain into glassware without ice.
- Garnish with mint sprig and cinnamon.
Other bars in Dallas-Fort Worth that carry Pisco:
- The People’s Last Stand, 5319 E. Mockingbird Lane, Suite 210, Dallas, TX 75206
- The Usual, 1408 W. Magnolia Avenue, Fort Worth, TX 76104
- Bolsa, 614 West Davis, Dallas, TX 75208
- Cedar Social, 1326 South Lamar Street Dallas, TX 75215
Let me know what your thoughts are about Pisco!