Need some family fun time? Good news! The Dallas Area Habitat for Humanity ReStores want to help give families creative projects to work on together. They offer an abundance of materials perfect for families on a budget – and best of all, these crafty projects teach kids about giving back, as all ReStore proceeds support the Dallas Habitat mission. Here are a few fun, easy and affordable weekend projects you can do with your kids:
1. Make furniture pop: Using colorful paint sold at the ReStores, revamp an old table or nightstand with a fresh color to match the kids’ room. For an extra sentimental look, have the kids dab painted hand prints over their “new” furniture.
2. DIY chalkboard: Take a mirror, window or picture frame from the Dallas Habitat ReStores and paint the glass with this easy recipe for DIY chalkboard paint to use as a fun chalkboard for the kids’ room.
3. Paint furniture funky colors: Find eclectic furniture for a steal at the Dallas ReStores (like this dresser below) and then paint it a fun color – like lime green, mint or pink – for a boy or girl’s room or a play room.
SOURCE: Dallas ReStores
4. Boutique style shelves: Using wall-hanging shelves from the ReStores, accent any room with wallpaper found in the ReStores. You can also line the back of a bookcase for the same feel.
5. Lively lighting: The ReStores have many stylish lamps and chandeliers. Help your kids spray paint lighting a funky color, and using stencils, add on a creative design or lettering.
SOURCE: Dallas ReStores
6. Paint cans for potting plants: After using a whole gallon or pint of paint, don’t just throw away that empty paint can. Using wallpaper or spray paint, let your kids decorate the can for a fun planter or canister. Add a cute message and give as a gift for any occasion.
Get your family’s creative DIY juices flowing and let Dallas Habitat’s ReStores help you redecorate for a fraction of the normal cost – all while giving back to the community!
And if you’re looking for more ideas, take a tip or two from the pros competing in the Dallas Habitat Design Duel, where two deserving Dallas County residents have won a $3,000 design makeover (using only materials from the ReStores) led by a team of local interior designers. After the makeover is complete, the public can look at before and after photos and cast their vote on the best design. Voting starts Nov. 6 here.
ReStores are located in both Dallas and Garland:
- West Dallas l 2800 N Hampton Rd, Dallas, TX 75212
- Northwest Dallas l 3546 Forest Ln, Dallas, TX 75235
- Garland l 451 W Interstate 30, Garland, TX 75043