As the organization celebrates 30 great years of service to the community, Dallas Children’s Theater (DCT) announces an astonishing lineup of shows and activities including a community birthday party and a hat design contest! DCT raises its hat in gratitude and admiration to all the artists, patrons, board members and friends who have helped to make DCT what it is today.
“Our hats are off to the nearly four million people, and counting, who have seen a DCT performance to date,” says Robyn Flatt, DCT’s Executive Artistic Director and Co-Founder. “Three decades is a dream come true and we are planning parties and fun for everyone so that celebration lasts all season long.” The fun kicks off with a free community birthday party on Saturday, September 21, 2013 in conjunction with opening weekend and the North Texas premiere of DR. SEUSS’S THE CAT IN THE HAT. Additionally, two ticketed Party and Play events will take place on January 25, 2014 (during GO, DOG. GO!) and April 26, 2014 (during CHARLOTTE’S WEB). Growing in popularity have been DCT’s free show themed-parties on opening nights, which will continue in 2013-2014.
Also very popular was DCT’s costume design contest during “Pinkalicious The Musical” with Emmy-nominated designer Lyle Huchton. Not to let the 30th birthday slide by….This summer, DCT invites all youth from kindergarten through twelfth grade to participate in a hat design contest! Details will be released soon!
The 2013-2014 season includes three North Texas premieres, a bilingual play, four charming musicals, two Teen Scene Players productions, two Kathy Burks Theatre of Puppetry Arts productions, a Lone Star Circus holiday extravaganza, and six delightful stage adaptations of beloved books. Flatt continues, “I am especially excited about presenting Lone Star Circus for the first time ever as part of our season, and to direct MARIACHI GIRL. Both promise to inspire in only the way live performance can, while at the same time facilitating international collaboration to DCT.” The 2013-2014 season kicks off in September 2013 and continues through July 2014 with eleven productions.
North Texas Professional Premiere
DR. SEUSS’S THE CAT IN THE HAT (Based on the book by Dr. Seuss, Originally produced by the National Theatre of Great Britain)
September 20 – October 27, 2013
- At last, he’s here, for the first time in Dallas, that fun-loving cat in the red-and-white hat. “Why do you sit there like that?” Experience all the wacky, zany joy that has made this one of the most treasured rhyming books of all time. A very special theatrical event!
TEEN SCENE PLAYERS PRESENT GHOULS & GRAVEYARDS
October 18 – October 27, 2013
- Be afraid! A collection of horror masterpieces and folktales brought to life by an all-teen cast just in time for Halloween. Things do go bump in the night!
North Texas Premiere
‘TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS (Based on the poem by Clement C. Moore, Script & Lyrics by Jennifer Kirkeby, Music by Shirley Mier)
November 30 – December 22, 2013
- A NEW Holiday Musical based on the most popular Christmas poem ever! It’s four days before Christmas and “The New York Evening Post” needs a holiday feature, but author Clement Moore has writers block. To add even more pressure, the President plans on reading it to his family at the White House on Christmas Day! Clement must work at home amongst his five children who are very anxious for the arrival of St. Nicholas. As Clement’s frustration mounts, the magic begins….Watch this classic poem come to life with bells, toys, Sugar Plum Fairies and holiday delight for all.
KATHY BURKS THEATRE OF PUPPETRY ARTS’
THE NUTCRACKER (Adapted for the stage by B. Wolf, Music by P.I. Tchaikovsky)
November 29 – December 22, 2013
- No holiday season is complete without Tchaikovsky’s masterpiece! Brought to life with dazzling puppetry, this magical interpretation by Kathy Burks and Company is a sumptuous creation and a delicious holiday treat! In the spirit of laughter, wonder and great joy, DCT proudly continues your family holiday tradition!
LONE STAR CIRCUS’
December 27, 2013 – January 5, 2014
- An all-new show presented for the first time ever in partnership with DCT! Add on this Season Special for an unforgettable circus extravaganza to celebrate the end of 2013 and the dawn of the New Year! An international galaxy of acrobats, aerialists, hand balancers, jugglers, clowns, and dogs perform together to create the most sensational and joyous circus spectacular Dallas/Fort Worth has ever seen.
GO, DOG. GO! (Adapted by Allison Gregory and Steven Dietz, from the book “Go, Dog. Go!” by P.D. Eastman)
January 24 – February 23, 2014
- Big dogs and little dogs. Dogs in cars. It’s a carnival of color and dance and song! Join the party! A big dog party! “Do you like my hat?”
TEEN SCENE PLAYERS PRESENT
LITTLE WOMEN (Based on the book by Louisa May Alcott, Script & Lyrics by Linda Daugherty, Music & Lyrics by B. Wolf)
February 14 – February 23, 2014
- A NEW family musical! This spirited and joyous adaptation performed by an all-teen cast celebrates life, love and home set against the background of the American Civil War. A timeless story that has captured the hearts of readers for nearly 150 years! Be inspired by all the adventures, hopes and dreams of unforgettable sisters Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy.
KATHY BURKS THEATRE OF PUPPETRY ARTS’
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
March 7 – March 30, 2014
- A young girl, a beast, a rose, a curse. Can love break the spell? The classic French fairytale passed down for generations is brought to life through the magic of Kathy Burks’ renowned company of artists. See the story you know told as you’ve never seen it before! Pure joy!
A North Texas Professional Premiere
MARIACHI GIRL (By Roxanne Schroeder-Arce, Music & Lyrics by Hector Martinez Morales)
March 21 – March 30, 2014
- In this NEW and exciting bilingual musical, young Carmencita dreams about being a mariachi singer, and one day joining in performance with her Father. However, her Father clings to a long-held family tradition of male-only mariachis. Inspired by a book about a famous female mariachi, “Cita” challenges her Father. Can she celebrate her own heritage and expand his view of the world? An uplifting and original family drama about reaching for your dreams filled with passion and vibrant mariachi music!
CHARLOTTE’S WEB (By E. B. White, Adapted by Joseph Robinette)
April 25 – June 1, 2014
- The best-loved children’s story of all time and winner of The Newbery Honor Medal! Discover the true meaning of friendship and life’s everyday miracles. Get caught in Charlotte’s web to save Wilbur, the “radiant” and “humble” pig, and make friends once again with all his loveable barnyard neighbors.
DCT’s National Touring Production
STUART LITTLE (By E. B. White, Adapted by Joseph Robinette)
June 20 – July 13, 2014
- Another E. B. White classic! It’s big excitement for a little mouse when Stuart leaves his human family in New York and travels across the country in search of the bird that helped save his life. A charming story that proves great things can come in small packages.
Come celebrate with us in 2013-2014! Season Subscriptions to DCT’s 2013-2014 Season, Hats Off to 30, will be available on April 29. Interested subscribers can purchase a package of four or more shows online at www.dct.org/subscribers and are encouraged to do so early as the season is sure to sellout. As always, DCT’s subscribers enjoy the lowest prices.