Although there are only 2 people living in my house, it is amazing how often we have to do the laundry. How in the world can 2 people make so many things dirty? It blows my mind every single time I am loading the washer and dryer. To be fair, we have 3 dogs and a cat so we’re always washing our sheets and mounds of towels. I can only imagine how much laundry a family with littles ones have.
The more I began to think about, the more I realized how much energy and money was being wasted if people don’t have energy efficient appliances. Thankfully, a couple years ago we upgraded our appliances and we instantly saw a difference in our monthly bills.
After doing some research, I quickly learned that owning an ENERGY STAR washer and dryer was the only way to go. Did you know that ENERGY STAR washers…
- Use less energy. On average, a new ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer uses 280 KWh of electricity and can save you $40 a year on your utility bills compared to a standard model.
- Use less water. A full-sized ENERGY STAR certified clothes washer uses 13 gallons of water per load, compared to the 23 gallons used by a standard machine. That’s a savings of more than 3,000 gallons of water, per year!!
- Is your washer over 10 years old? Washers built before 2003 are significantly less efficient than newer models. If you have a standard clothes washer that is over 10 years old, it’s costing you, on average $180 a year.
ENERGY STAR dryers…
- Use 20 percent less energy than conventional models without sacrificing features or performance
- Sensor Drying. Use sensor drying, not timed drying. ENERGY STAR dryer models incorporate advanced moisture sensors to help you reduce your dryer’s energy use. This feature ensures that your dryer will automatically shut off when clothes are dry
- Low heat setting. Longer drying cycles on a low heat setting use less energy. When you purchase an ENERGY STAR certified clothes dryer, look in the informational materials shipped with the product for which cycle was tested for certification and how the dryer’s other cycles or settings may use more or less energy.
- Consider gas. Eighty percent of dryers in the US are electric. If you have the option, consider using a gas dryer to save money and reduce your environmental impact.
Even though we already have an ENERGY STAR washer and dryer, LG has a pair that I want so bad. It’s the LG Twin Wash and LG sidekick. This washer and dryer combo let you do two loads at once. Can you imagine the amount of time you would save if you were able to do double the laundry? With a combined capacity of up to 6.6 cu. ft., the TWIN Wash boasts an ergonomically elevated and angled door that makes loading and unloading easier. Plus, the LED control panel is located on the door, right at your fingertips.
The TurboWash 2.0 feature saves up to 30 minutes on larger loads with outstanding cleaning performance. The TurboSteam technology deeply penetrates fabrics for greater cleaning power. The full-width lid helps prevent spills thanks to an easy-to-fill detergent tray with recessed design.
The Sidekick can pair with almost any LG front load unit. You can wash smaller loads without having to waste water by using the main unit. Add the ingenious LG SideKick pedestal washer to almost any LG front load washer to tackle two loads of laundry — both large and small — at the same time. Discretely styled with a concealed control panel, the LG SideKick not only functions as a secondary washer, but also raises your front-loading washer to a comfortable height and matches the pedestal beneath your LG dryer.
I’m a huge fan of LG and all of their products but this washer and dryer combo makes me giddy inside! Currently, Best Buy is offering 18 months major appliance financing or 10% rewards (increased from 5 to 10% for April!) and 10% back in grocery purchases. Not to mention free delivery on all purchased over $399.