Weather in Dallas this year has been (what seems to be) colder than ever. It seems like we have one good freeze every year and maybe one ice day, but this year has seemed to prove me wrong. It’s always freezing!! One thing I’ve realized is that I need to be more efficient with saving energy.
Reliant has a few simple tips to help keep your home warm, cozy AND energy efficient during the winter months ahead:
- Tune-up before you turn up the heat. A poorly functioning furnace can be an inconvenience. More importantly, it can be dangerous if left undetected. A qualified HVAC expert can help you inspect and maintain the key components of your system, including chimneys, fireplaces, filters and fuel lines. Reliant customers can take advantage of a personalized Heater Tune-up to ensure their home’s heating systems is at its best this winter.
- Seal up the house. According to The Department of Energy, by reducing drafts in a home, energy savings can range from 5 percent to 30 percent per year, and the home is generally much more comfortable afterward. Check and replace the seals in your house, especially those on doors to the basement and attic. Try sliding a piece of paper through the crevice between the door and the frame. If it slips through, it’s time to replace the seal.
- Keep hot air from rising. Now that you’ve turned your clock back, turn fans clockwise for the winter to redirect air toward the living space, making the most of the warm air in the house.
- Try smart and easy ways to stay warm (without breaking the bank). Heaters can be responsible for 60-70 percent of your winter electricity bill. For those who like to keep toasty in the winter, try an electric blanket which only cost .02 cents per hour to operate. And don’t forget to take advantage of heat generated by the sun simply by opening blinds and curtains during the day to let the sunshine in.
- Invest in learning. According to the Consumer Energy Center, installing and setting a basic programmable thermostat can lower electricity bills by 10 percent. Thermostats that “learn” your heating patterns to help set your home’s temperature efficiently are the next evolution beyond traditional programmable thermostats.
Reliant Energy has given me that awesome opportunity to win $500 for North Texas Food Bank. Winning $500 for them will bring lots of meals to hungry kids and adults in our area. If you’re willing, can you RT the tweet below?
— Dallas Socials (@DallasSocials) February 11, 2014
If I get the most RT, I will win the $500 for NTFB! Also, I am giving away a pair of movie tickets every single day to one person who RTs, so check my twitter account through this week for fun giveaways!
What ways do you prepare for the cold winter months?